Sunday, July 20, 2008

First day is tomorrow.

"This program has been designed to provide 1st year medical students with an understanding of the scope of family medicine as a primary care specialty. Students experience clinical medicine, not just observing, but participating in the healthcare delivery to citizens of rural, urban and suburban communities. Since inception in 1990, the program has grown rapidly. It is our desire to expose as many students as possible to family medicine, emphasizing ambulatory care in a community setting."

This is what brings me to Quincy, and my first day "on the job" is tomorrow. Exactly how I will be able to participate in the healthcare delivery to citizens of this community is unclear. I can take someone's blood pressure and pulse pretty well, and I can appear pretty purposeful while placing my stethoscope on someone's torso; but, if asked if I hear anything abnormal, I would have to report with confidence and gusto: "I haven't really learned that yet." My white coat is clean. My stethoscope is at the ready. At least I will look the part. And so it begins tomorrow morning at a very civilized 8:45 AM.

1 comment:

Erika said...

oh my how exciting! in no time you will be a doctoring expert!! :)